Skip navigation
Banessa

Have Questions? We Have Your Answers! (225) 240 - 4662

The Latest

November 8, 2018

Compare Granite and Quartz Countertops

One of the most frequently asked questions we get from homebuyers is, “Which countertop is better, granite or quartz?” You really can’t go wrong with either one, but we thought it would be helpful to compare granite and quartz countertops so you can see the differences. Then decide for yourself. At Alvarez Construction Company, we offer both of these top-quality materials.

100% versus 95% stone

Both granite and quartz are stone countertops. Granite, however, is 100% natural stone, mined from quarries around the world. The colors and patterns vary from one quarry to the next, which results in the uniqueness of each slab. Once a slab is cut, it is then polished to a glossy sheen that homeowners love.

Quartz is made of 95% ground quartz. The remaining 5% is a resin that’s added to bind the crushed stone. Quartz countertops are therefore referred to as “engineered quartz”.

One-of-a-kind versus consistent appearance

Granite is entirely a product of Mother Nature. There is no modification to what is taken from the earth, other than cutting and polishing. Since no two stones are alike, no two slabs will be identical either. While colors can be consistent, the flecks and patterns in the stone are not. When you choose your granite from a sample, don’t expect the countertop you receive to look exactly the same, unless you go directly to the granite source and choose the exact slab for your home. Also, seams will be more evident because of the pattern and fleck variation from slab to slab.

Quartz, on the other hand, is manufactured to exacting specifications. You should fully expect that the countertop you receive matches the sample you chose. There is a wide variety of color and pattern choices, with more being introduced every year. In addition, this consistency means that seams are less visible than with a granite countertop.

Countertop maintenance

Both quartz and granite countertops are beautiful and durable. Granite is a porous stone, so it absorbs liquids that lead to stains and bacterial growth. To protect the surface, you simply need to reseal about once a year. Before you do it, test the seal on your countertop by spritzing water on the granite. Wait a few minutes to see if the water beads up or seeps in. If the water isn’t absorbing, you don’t need to reseal the countertop. In fact, if you did reseal it, the sealant wouldn’t absorb into the surface any more than the water. So it’s not only a wasted effort, but could compromise the highly polished appearance of your countertop.

Quartz is a maintenance-free surface. It’s not porous, like granite, so spills will not soak into the countertop.

Chips versus scratches

Whether you choose quartz or granite for your countertops, you can count on a very durable surface. Like many stones, granite could chip, although you’d have to hit it very hard. The edges and corners are the possible damage areas, and you could add an ounce of prevention by opting for a rounded edge.

A quartz countertop is less prone to cracks, but it’s not fully resistant to scratching. Again, it’s a tough surface so this type of damage isn’t a likely risk with average use.

How much?

Quartz tends to run a little higher than granite, about 10% to 15%. The cost will depend on the actual countertop you choose. Size, color, and quality factor in.

We want your home to be exactly what you envision. The design team at Alvarez Construction Company will go through all of your options for countertops, including the material, color, and edges, like bullnose and beveled.

Move in now with 100% financing

Take a look at some of the move-in ready homes for sale near Baton Rouge to see how your next kitchen and bathroom could look. Cella Gardens in Denham Springs, Grove at Ascension in Prairieville, and Deer Trail Phase I and Deer Trail Phase II in Madisonville have affordable homes now available, and they qualify for the USDA Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan, which offers 100% financing—that’s NO down payment!

In addition, you could qualify for $5,000 toward closing costs by using Alvarez Construction Company’s preferred title company.

Why wait? Interest rates and housing prices will go up. Contact Matthew Petty now to take advantage of the most affordable home buying options now available!

The Latest from the Alvarez Blog

December 9, 2019

Meet Banessa!

Alvarez Construction Hometown Heroes
September 25, 2019

Thank You, Hometown Heroes!

Learn More About Alvarez Construction Company, LLC
Download our brochure
Banessa

Our team is here to help you find the home of your dreams

Give us a Call at (225) 240-4662 or 
get started today
Banessa
Have
Questions?