Giving Back During the Holidays
It’s that time of year again. And it seems like people are getting into their holiday decorating earlier and earlier each year. Wouldn’t it be great if we could also jump-start the spirit of kindness and generosity? Alvarez Construction Companyencourages everyone to think about the meaning of the season and give back during the holidays.
A key part of our family business is focused on community outreach in the Baton Rouge region. Giving isn’t limited to the end of the year. Community outreach has no season, no deadlines, and no limits.
The McMains Children’s Developmental Center is one example. Every day of the year, this organization focuses on helping children who need physical, developmental, academic, and communication services to strengthen the quality of their lives. As a pediatric outpatient clinic that began in 1954, the McMains Center treats children with disabilities and/or developmental delays. The children and their families gain so much from the services provided here, thanks to the personalized therapy programs: speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, assistive technology assessment and training, medical and psychological services, learning disability evaluation, social work and case management, and family programs.
Their Capable Kids Campaign is an annual fundraising event that supports all the McMains Center’s programs:
- Wheels to Succeed, providing adaptive bikes for children with disabilities
- Capable Arts Camp, a week-long summer camp that sparks the children’s creativity
- Annual Canoe Trip, for children with disabilities and their siblings, using canoes that have been adapted to accommodate their physical challenges
- Gym Group, bringing the children to LSU’s gymnastics facility to use the equipment to develop their motor skills and communication
- Social Skills Group, guided by social workers, who help the kids learn key skills like taking turns, listening, and reacting appropriately
- Summer Steps, a summer remediation program that helps with reading and math skills
- Capable Play, presented in a unique facility that presents a home environment where children with multiple disabilities can learn and participate in a wide range of household activities.
These programs are designed to meet kids where they live, play, and learn. The McMains Center’s team guides each child to where nobody thought they could go. Giving to the Capable Kids Campaign allows you to make a positive impact on the life of a child who truly needs help.
The Campaign has a goal of raising $350,000 by December 31, 2018. Reaching this mark will provide for the nearly 600 children who come through the Center’s doors annually. Supporters of the Center ensure all children have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Alvarez Construction Company has been a strong supporter of McMains Children’s Developmental Center for many years. The annual No Such Thing As Impossible Bike Ride, which benefits Wheels to Succeed, was inspired by the life of Jairo Alvarez who founded this family homebuilding business. Jairo, an avid cyclist, wanted everyone to share in his passion. One of the few battles he ever lost was with cancer, but all of us at Alvarez Construction Company carry on his legacy of helping others.
Alvarez Construction Company and our partner, Flora Landscape Contractors, have donated to the Capable Kids Campaign, which has raised nearly $124,000 so far. Please help us meet the goals and dreams of these deserving children. You can donate here, and know that you’ve made a difference in a child’s life.
You can’t build homes without seeing the bigger picture of the community around you. Give your time and you’ll discover that the true recipient of the gift is you.
The Alvarez family thanks you for caring about our community!